Divemaster Pre-Requisites and Duties
Divemaster Course Prerequisites
1. PADI Advanced Open Water and PADI Rescue Diver certifications (or qualifying certifications)
2. 18 years old
3. Medical clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician within the previous 12 months
4. 40 logged dives
5. Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months
Active status Divemasters are authorized to:
1. Supervise both training and nontraining-related activities by planning, organizing and directing dives.
2. Assist an instructor during confined and open water training.
3. Guide Open Water Diver course students on the tour portion of Open Water Dives 2, 3 and 4 at a 2:1 ratio, under the instructor’s indirect supervision.
4. Accompany Open Water Diver students under the instructor’s indirect supervision during surface swims to and from the entry/exit point and during navigational exercises; as well as supervise remaining students when the instructor conducts a skill.
5. Accompany student divers during Adventure Dives or specialty course dives under the instructor’s indirect supervision.
6. Teach and certify PADI Skin Divers independently. This also includes conducting the PADI Seal Team AquaMission: Skin Diver Specialist.
7. Conduct the Discover Snorkeling program.
8. Conduct subsequent dives under an instructor’s indirect supervision for Discover Scuba Diving participants at a 2:1 ratio, after participants have satisfactorily completed the first dive with an instructor.
9. Conduct the Discover Local Diving experience.
10. Conduct the ReActivate program for certified divers.
11. Conduct the skin diving skills segment of the Open Water Diver course during confined water dive 2, 3, 4, or 5.
12. If qualified as a Discover Scuba Diving Leader, independently conduct Discover Scuba Diving in a pool or in confined open water.
13. Accompany certified PADI Scuba Divers on subsequent dives.
14. After completing the corresponding instructor training, conduct:
a. Digital Underwater Photographer specialty courses under the direction of a PADI Instructor.
b. Emergency Oxygen Provider courses.